Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Its not (V&H) Fair!

No, unfortunately its not all about the Vintage and Handmade Fair as I forgot my camera! A great day was had by all with masses of vintage treasures to tempt the customers. When I looked up after rushing to complete my stand (as usual the last bit was placed as Jayne announced the doors were about to open) I thought this looks like a vintage girls idea of heaven! I did manage to get a bit of a look round and wished I had loads of money as I was tempted by so many things. It was a lovely day and so nice to see blogging friends again, there is always such a warm friendly feeling to the V&H fair, I think we have all settled down cosily with one another and I am sure we are already looking forward to November!

Well as I have no photos of the fair I thought I would share some car boot finds with you. I was disappointed to have missed my regular Sunday boot and was therefore delighted to find that there was an extra one in Truro on Bank Holiday Monday. I got there early so as to be first in the que. Most of the boots here are run so that you are not allowed in till half an hour after the cars start to set up so that all is ready and everyone has a fair chance, its much more civilised than crowds descending on poor booters as they try and unload. But it pays to be early and get in first! Well here are a few of my finds....
This little 1930s plaster girl and her doggie in front of a mirror is so sweet, the colours lovely and faded.

I am delighted with this stash of hundreds of mother of pearl and glass buttons. I have plans for these!

Some pretty costume jewellery.

I had one of these as a child, the hairdryer still works, only blows cold air though!

I found a big tin of old cigarette cards of which these beautiful dogs are a few.

But I think the best find of the day is this wonderful 1940s mirror. It belonged to the mother of the lady I bought it from, I could tell she was a bit sad to see it go and said "You will look after it wont you?" It still smells of her mothers perfume which some might think a bit odd but I find enchanting! After promising to look after it I am not sure now wether I want to sell it or not and it does look nice with some old glass bottles and things in front of it in our sitting room!

20 comments:

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

What a lovely haul. I especially like the jewellery and the mirror is too good not to hold onto! Lesley

Annie said...

What amazing finds, I love both mirrors but especially the little girl with her dog.
Ann x

shevie said...

no its not fair-I WANT that little girl mirror so bad it hurts!!!!!!As for that hairdrier,you know it has my name on it!!!Fabulous buttons,and lovely story about the mirror!Great finds,hope your tooth is better?See you tomorrow?!!!

Clare said...

What fab finds! love the plaster girl and mirror..utterly enchanting!

Anonymous said...

Love the little girls hair dryer set! de-lish!
I'm glad someone else had a good weekends hunting, I found some wonderful pieces too which filled me with relief as so far this year most fairs have been really poor unless you want 500 lighters for a pound or a dodgy foot spa! But then I remember, that the good stuff always surfaces when the sun comes out!
I have just posted a preview of my new bits on my blog!

Oh, and fingers crossed you like my style Jane as I'm pitching you and Michele for my own stall at the next fair! So exciting!

Sadie at Flea xx

Niki Fretwell said...

Lovely to see you Jane...Today I've been wearing the little china posy brooch that I bought from you!

I just adore both of the mirrors that you were lucky enough to buy at a car boot sale! Both different in style, but utterly gorgeous. Well done.

Niki

Country Cottage Chic said...

Great finds Jane!
Saturday was such a lovely day....and thanks again for my new Bambi - he is settling in nicely!!

Jayne

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Beautiful finds at the boot Jane. Also love your story and photos of the CL shoot. I shall look out for the mag next year :o)

shevie said...

....yes,I was serious...my email is on my page,send me details....its ok,I realise its not going to be in my £1/£2 bracket!!
see you at the booty-pray it doesn't rain...!x

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

jane.......

i am sinning....

i am coveting that little plaster piece of the little girl reading to her little dog. that is about the sweetest piece i have EVER layed my eyes on. great job getting that piece.

now i have to tell you that you had best keep the tri-fold mirror. it is a perfect match with your bottles. a meant to be treasure. no doubt that the lovely lady who owned it is smiling upon you. you just have to keep it!!

xo
becky

hens teeth said...

It was really good to see you on Saturday Jane....and my goodness you did have a good Monday morning....you must have been smiling all day. Those buttons!!!! x

Jess said...

Some lovely finds! You seem to have a 'nose' for these things. I used to have a mirror like the plaster-caste one and treasured it for years until it broke!xx

Country Style Living said...

Great finds! The mirrors are both so pretty....

THISNTHAT said...

LOvely 'trove'. I especially like the little girl with the mirror. I wish that our car boots were that civilised.
Lesley X

A time to dance said...

I am so jealous of all those finds, yorkshire car boots are full of tatt, those buttons made me swoon, and the plaset girl....you lucky thing...maybe in novemeber I will get to the fair...hope you are well...H (Ps finally got the earrings fixed!)

ted and bunny said...

don't you think that sometimes its quite nice not taking your camera?
xx

salty pebble said...

oh i do love your treasures of the day! ;0)...the mirror is a real delight- i often sniff things- i guess to some it is abit odd but i also like the smells abit like the beauty of an old book smell...the little girl and doggie in front of mirror is so sweet and those lovely buttons!...gorgeous jewellry too. lovely post! ;0)xx

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, the sad tinge of the car booty. The mirror is beautiful and the fact it carries scent is all the more nostalgic. When we buy at the car booty to sell on again, sometimes we forget that the things we buy carry a lifetime of memories for the seller.

Shirl x

Milly and Dottie said...

I am always in awe of your beautiful collections.. and amazed that you find so many of these covetable items in Cornwall.. maybe a move to your county is a good idea! We can jostle each other in the queue then!!

Especially love that little girl and mirror..

Michele x

BusyLizzie said...

that triple mirrow is great isn't it.. however this week I shall mostly be wearing Dolce & Gabbana! hee hee